To achieve the Silver DofE Award your son/daughter must commit to complete a personal programme of activities in 4 sections. The sections are the same as Bronze:-
- Volunteering: undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical: improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey.
Again, each activity must be undertaken for an average of 1 hour per week, excluding the expedition section. If you did Bronze, you can choose the same activity for Silver, but you need to show development in it. It's best to try something new! You need to do at least 6 months Volunteering and a minimum of 6 months on either Physical or Skills and 3 months on the other. It’s up to you which one you do for longer.
Expeditions normally take place in June and August/September. For a Silver Award the pupils must undertake two expeditions - one as a practice and one as a qualifier. The Expedition section involves planning, training for and doing a 3 day (2 night) expedition. Usually at least one of these expeditions involves a wild camp.
Registrations for Silver can only be processed when the Bronze award is completed and signed off on eDofE. Registration costs for Silver are currently £19. Expedition information and resources can be found below.
- S6 Practice Expedition (Pentlands): Friday 23rd June - Sunday 25th June 2017
- S6 Qualifying Expedition (Doune-Aberfoyle): Thursday 14th September - Saturday 16th September 2017
- S5 Practice Expedition (Pentlands): Friday 25th August - Sunday 27th August 2017
- S5 Qualifying Expedition (Lowther Hills): Thursday 21st September - Saturday 23rd September 2017
- The combined cost for both Silver expeditions is £120. Payment can be made through parent pay, by cash or by a cheque made payable to Queensferry High School.