Snow Closure Homework
Resources & School Closure Work



Ms L Cameron


Here at QHS, all the pupils in first and second year participate in Drama classes. They enjoy wonderful resources including a fully-equipped large Drama studio with stage lights, a sound system and a store complete with costumes and props. These resources help to bring the creative ideas that students have to life.

An introduction to Drama in first and second year enables students to make an informed choice about pursuing the subject further. In the department, we value the process of Drama and all it brings to the personal development of the individual. There are many rewards for both pupils and staff who come together to engage in this process and all its possibilities.

In S3 Drama, pupils will work at level 3/4 which will provide students with a stimulating, varied and challenging period of study. Students learn to work with others in a positive way, negotiating and participating in the creative process which enables them to explore relationships through language, voice, movement and theatre activities. They explore their own and others' opinions, attitudes and values which increases and develops their interest, awareness and understanding of Drama, theatre and other arts media. Pupils are observed for assessment purposes during the creative process and have a variety of opportunities to evaluate their learner journey with the teacher and each other. Evidence folders of their paperwork are kept in school to support review of their progress. Homework is expected at the end of each unit through a self-evaluative response to the work in essay form.

National 4/5

In order to develop a strong working environment the group are given the opportunity to explore a stimulus and devise their response. This will be a public performance. This Drama Skills unit is pass/fail.

Two production skills are explored in detail in fourth year. Pupils have a choice to take an acting role or a design role for the text we choose to study.
An acting role would require that they research the chosen text from an actor’s perspective. Character development would encompass: characterisation techniques; relationships and status; blocking; voice and movement; and use of space etc.
For a design role, pupils have a choice of investigating and applying their knowledge in a variety of areas including: Costume; Props; Stage Make-Up and Hair; Lighting; Sound; and Set Design (Set Design is National 5 level only).

National 4

National 4 pupils will be expected to complete an added value unit in order to pass the course. This is a practical task based on their choice of acting or design role. There is no written exam for National 4.

National 5

60% of the course is their practical response to text in their choice of acting or design. This is verified by the SQA on an agreed date. The remaining 40% for National 5 takes the form of a written paper.

It is imperative that pupils witness live theatre in order to enhance and appreciate their response to the art form.


Unit 1 Drama Skills is a fun, exciting unit which allows creative experimentation using a stimulus chosen by the class, culminating in a public performance. This unit demands in-depth research which is communicated through an original and stimulating response. This is a pass/fail unit.

Unit 2 Production Skills stimulates creative response by analysing set text through acting, directing and design. This unit allows freedom to choose a Production Skill that inspires the pupil using a chosen set text.

60% of the course is their practical response to text in their choice of acting, directing or design. This is verified by the SQA on an agreed date. The remaining 40% takes the form of two written responses - set text and performance analysis.

It is imperative that pupils witness live theatre in order to inform their response for performance analysis.

Advanced Higher

In Unit 1 Drama Skills, pupils experiment and explore with different theatre practitioners. Pupils will be expected to choose a practitioner that they would like to explore further and prepare and produce a workshop for the Higher candidates. Their written response to theatre visits looks at the piece through the eyes of their chosen practitioner.

Their chosen stimulus should allow opportunity for further research and in-depth study, ultimately producing a piece of theatre that encapsulates a personal response to their practitioner. During pre-show, pupils share their learner journeys with the audience in a question and answer session. This is a public performance.

60% of the course is their chosen production skill - acting, directing or design. 30% is in the form of a 2,500 - 3000 word dissertation on an agreed theatrical topic of exploration. This is a pass/fail unit. 20% is in the form of an assignment.


Venice Trip 2016
What have we been up to?
Drama Exams March 2015
Example Folio Task Sheets

Above, you will find completed examples of the sheets you should have in your folio for your National 4/5 drama course.  Your teacher will advise you of what sheets you specifically need, and it is your responsibility, with support from your teacher, to keep your folio up to date and complete.  Use these sheets to refer to when completing your own work.